Ham Talk
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 03, 2020, 06:41:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
June 11 th will be the next Exam Date for those persons wanting to get their new liicense or upgrade.
Call Hugo to set your appointment.
28 Posts in 22 Topics by 40 Members
Latest Member: KM4HDS
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Ham Talk
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Telescoping aluminum mast.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Telescoping aluminum mast.  (Read 26016 times)
KD5CM
KD5CM
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2010, 04:44:37 PM »

Harbor Freight has a 20 foot telescoping aluminum flag polefor sale for about 60 dollars. I picked up one today to do double duty. It will make a good field mast for a portable antenna installation in addidion to its stated purpose. checkout their web site at:

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-ft-telescoping-flag-pole-kit-95598.html  Cheesy

FT-2000, FT-847, Heath SB-221
Anxiously awaiting 10 and 15 meters coming back!
ka7ssr
ACARC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 05:26:03 PM »

I purchased one of these recently, tho' I'm using it for its designated purpose (flag pole).  However, from what I see, it could be used as a great pole to work a field day 20 meter (or shorter wave) dipole antenna.  I used a different type telescoping flag pole for the same purpose at JOTA, and it worked great!.

It might even be better with about 8 to 10 feet of pvc pipe on the top to prevent the metal from creating a capacitor effect with the radiation from the antenna.  Putting the center feed point at the top of the pvc pipe would get it higher and permit a better take off angle for a horizontal antenna.
KD5CM
KD5CM
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 01:33:47 PM »

I used a pair of them  for 20 meters as well. Although they could be better quality, but for the price they are worth it.

FT-2000, FT-847, Heath SB-221
Anxiously awaiting 10 and 15 meters coming back!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: