Ham Talk
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 18, 2020, 08:15:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Next ACARC Meeting on 19 May at 7:00 PM in Room 130 of the Coastal Bend College in Pleasanton
28 Posts in 22 Topics by 40 Members
Latest Member: KM4HDS
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Ham Talk
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Telescoping aluminum mast.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Telescoping aluminum mast.  (Read 26192 times)
KD5CM
KD5CM
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2010, 04:44:37 PM »

Harbor Freight has a 20 foot telescoping aluminum flag polefor sale for about 60 dollars. I picked up one today to do double duty. It will make a good field mast for a portable antenna installation in addidion to its stated purpose. checkout their web site at:

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-ft-telescoping-flag-pole-kit-95598.html  Cheesy

FT-2000, FT-847, Heath SB-221
Anxiously awaiting 10 and 15 meters coming back!
ka7ssr
ACARC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 05:26:03 PM »

I purchased one of these recently, tho' I'm using it for its designated purpose (flag pole).  However, from what I see, it could be used as a great pole to work a field day 20 meter (or shorter wave) dipole antenna.  I used a different type telescoping flag pole for the same purpose at JOTA, and it worked great!.

It might even be better with about 8 to 10 feet of pvc pipe on the top to prevent the metal from creating a capacitor effect with the radiation from the antenna.  Putting the center feed point at the top of the pvc pipe would get it higher and permit a better take off angle for a horizontal antenna.
KD5CM
KD5CM
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 01:33:47 PM »

I used a pair of them  for 20 meters as well. Although they could be better quality, but for the price they are worth it.

FT-2000, FT-847, Heath SB-221
Anxiously awaiting 10 and 15 meters coming back!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: